Monmouth Council is excited to offer Online Advancement to your unit. This new method for recording advancements is easier and more efficient because you’ll be entering the information yourself. This ensures that your units information will be correct, and you can do it from your home or office, anytime that it’s convenient for you. Use Internet Advancement for the following:
- Add ranks, merit badges, and awards
- Update information on existing advancement (except the Eagle Scout rank)
How Internet Advancement Works
Monmouth Council will provide each unit with a unit ID, and the unit will select and assign an adult to attend training and, after training, record most youth advancements from that unit. Information input on Ranks will be recorded based on program identification and can only be entered in the correct rank and date sequence.
Awards which can be entered through BSA Internet Advancement do not include nominated awards, such as those for meritorious action, the Eagle Scout rank, which involves a hand review, and awards which are controlled by other organizations, even if uniform wear is approved.
Training on BSA Internet Advancement
District roundtables will periodically feature an Internet Advancement orientation training. After each unit selects an adult to be the unit’s advancement processor, the adult should attend the next available training. Anyone who wants to learn more about Internet Advancement can review the help information through the link above.
When Questions Arise
There is a Frequently Asked Questions link on the Internet Advancement site and these should be reviewed as your first line of inquiry. There is also an extensive help guide, accessible through the link at the bottom of the page.
If you have other questions or comments, contact the Monmouth Council Service Center and we’ll be glad to help.
Using Internet Advancement
- Select the unit advancement processor. This person must have Internet connectivity and be able to utilize the MS Internet Explorer browser.
- Obtain a unit ID code from the council.
- The unit advancement processor attends the internet advancement training session.
- Gather the needed information for entry of advancement, including unit member merit badge applications and advancement records with dates.
- Click the Internet Advancement link on this page. Follow the instructions in Internet Advancement to process advancements and print an advancement report.
- Have the appropriate people sign the printed unit advancement report and submit it to the council.
- Save a copy for your files.
- Units should submit monthly, before the last Council Business day of each month, or more often if needed. In December, units should submit a report before the end of the month to update your unit information. This will also aid the council’s efforts for accurate end of year information.
Reports Available Via BSA Internet Advancement
Unit Roster: Your local unit advancement processor will be able to print a unit roster at any time. This unit roster will contain the most current information from ScoutNET, including the membership ID for each adult and youth member.
Unit Advancement Summary: Indicates the ranks, merit badges, and awards saved in each individual record for the current unit members.
Advancement Report: Listing of each youth member that has new ranks, merit badges, and awards, if any. This is your official unit Advancement Report that is to be signed and submitted to the council service center.
Unit Awards Summary: Listing of the number of new ranks, awards and merit badges by name; this makes for a convenient shopping list.
Advancement Update Summary: Listing of any ranks, merit badges, and awards that were already in the member record and were updated online.