- Each Scout will need to register on their own for SESSION and the class(es) they are interested in.
- Each Scout should have the ability to join the Zoom conference via computer (webcam with audio) to be able to interact with our Counselors
- Scouts should check each specific class for any known prerequisites that the Counselors have provided us.
- Counselors should cover on their during their classed any requirements that can not be done virtually and the methods for submitting them for completion.
- Some advance-work or follow-up work with the counselor following the ZOOM sessions, will be required to complete merit badges
- All Scouts in attendance will be recommended to use Scoutbook to track their progress on a Merit Badge as this is the free BSA Unit Advancement Tool.
- With the sizes of some of these classes, we will be unable to process physical "Blue Cards".
- If your unit does not use Scoutbook, have the scout email their unit leader and cc the counselor to introduce MBC to the SM/unit leader. The MBC will then email the progress to the unit leader at the end of the merit badge course. Please note: We strongly recommend using Scoutbook to alleviate the manual process of reporting progress.
- Refunds will be issued as Tentaroo Account credit for full-session cancellations made online at least 8 days prior to the start of the Session.
Merit Badge Class Wait Lists
- When you register for any of the sessions, it will allow you to sign up for as many classes (space permitting) as you want. On average, up to 5 per week. Each weekly session has one-flat fee which covers the administrative costs of running this program. If you want to attend multiple weeks, you will need to pay for multiple sessions. (for example Session A and Session B)
- When you go to sign up your scout for the event, it will show you the entire course catalog by Session. Due to the popularity of the event, some of our classes are in wait list status.
- If a class is in a Wait List, you will see the current number of Scouts ahead of you for the class. As seats open up by other scouts dropping the class, each scout moved from the wait list will be emailed (and the rest will move up a seat)
- As you are registering today, by adding a Wait List class to your Scout's schedule, you understand the risk and possibility that your scout may not get into that class.
- One more thing on wait lists, as great and all-powerful that our Event Registrar Staff is, they can not override the class sizes of any of our classes -- so please don't ask. All of our classes are being taught at the maximum capacity that our Instructors can handle.
- Refund Policy:Refunds will be issued as Tentaroo Account credit for full-session cancellations made online at least 8 days prior to the start of the Session. Please see the full FAQ on how to cancel your session registration.
Communicating with your Counselor
Current youth protection guidelines (two-deep leadership and no one-on-one contact) will be followed by all of our merit badge counselors at all times while working with the youth and their families.
If the Scout needs to reach out to the counselor to submit requirements, they must copy at least one other adult. Any communication received without such information will not be accepted or responded to.
What do I do if I can not attend the class?
- If you need to cancel your attendance at this class, we would encourage you to do so as soon as possible as to open up your seat in your classes to other Scouts. Please log back into Tentaroo and drop/delete the event.
Do I need to bring anything to the virtual class?
Yes. As this is a Scouting event, you should be in your Scout Uniform
You also need to bring the following items with you:
- The Merit Badge Book (that you should have read before the class)
- All / Any advance-work, pre-requisite work needed for completion. Counselors will be available for questions.
- Pen & Paper
Where do I send my Blue Card when working on merit badges?
- All Scouts are recommended to use Scoutbook so no physical blue cards will be accepted.
- If your Unit/Scout does not use Scoutbook, please see the above alternate ways to connect with the counselor.
- The MCBSAU Staff will not be accepting or mailing out physical blue cards for this program.
Can merit badge requirements be adapted since some elements can’t be completed as stated right now?
- The published guidelines for the methodology of the merit badge program and the role of the merit badge counselor is found in the Guide to Advancement, Section 126.96.36.199. It is important to remember that leaders and merit badge counselors must not make additions or deletions to requirements. The Scout is expected to meet the requirements as stated; however, in some cases, virtual “visits” may fulfill the intent of a requirement. When the requirement’s intent cannot be reached virtually, the requirements cannot be completed, and the Scout must wait to complete that badge/requirement. Merit badge counselors signing off on requirements must determine to the best of their ability if the Scout has demonstrated the intended outcome. All existing youth protection policies and digital safety guidelines must be followed.
Where can I find the Prerequisites or Advance Work needed for each Merit Badge class?
- The Advance Work / Prerequisite information is available as the Leaders Guide in your Tentaroo Account
- Log into your Tentaroo Account
- You should see the MCBSAU as one of the events on the main page.
- Click on one of the sessions.
- Click on the words Leader's Guide
Comments regarding the MCBSAU Advance Work Document (Leaders Guide)
- This live file will be updated as our instructors provide us with information on advance work required to complete the merit badge with them. You will see that some of the classes do not have a lot of information besides the instructor's name.
- All advance requirements will be broken down by Session and then the individual class. Each class has a UNIQUE Class Code (for example A1A) . On your registration form, you will see the 3 character Class Code that precedes the name of each class.
- Please do not reach out to the instructor in advance unless they have directed you to do so until after your first class