MS Merit Badge Event FAQ
Merit Badge Fair - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will food be available?
- Yes, there will be lunch food and snacks available for purchase. Previously we have offered hot dogs and pizza, water, soda, candy, chips, hot pretzels, and churros.
2. Is Class A uniform required?
- Yes, a Boy Scout should always be in full Class A uniform when meeting with a merit badge counselor even in a group environment.
3. Will there be a location for a Scout to wait between classes?
- Yes, the cafeteria is open to all Scouts, leaders and parents at all times.
4. Will there be access to wifi?
- No, the school’s wifi is closed to the public.
5. Does the Boy Scout need a blue card for his registered classes?
6. Do I need to bring my class schedule with me?
- Yes, we would encourage each scout to bring a copy of your schedule with you which you can print out off Tentaroo.
- You will know the classrooms that your classes are in. In tentaroo if you are looking at your registration, to the top right it says view schedule, click on that and print the sheet.
- We should have a computer that can look it up but in the past the line is long !
7. If I have to cancel what should I do?
- Please cancel your registration on Tentaroo as soon as possible as that will open the spot for another scout to attend.
- We are sorry that we can not refund event fees if your son/scout is unable to get into the class(es) they wanted because our popular event filled up too fast.
8. How do I change the classes I am registered to take?
- We would suggest that if you were waitlisted for a class, you may want to check Tentaroo on a weekly basis to see if you were able to get into the class.
- You will be sent an email to confirm that you have been moved from Wait List to the class.
9. If registration is closed can I still attend?
- We can accommodate walk-ins as long as there are openings in the classes. As an example, all of our classes were filled well before the registration deadline, so advance registration is strongly recommended.
10. Can any scout attend or just scouts from Monmouth Council?
- FIRST, you must verify with your Scoutmaster or Unit Leader who assigns the blue cards that you can take the class.
- Once they approve, you should then and only then sign up. It is at the Leader's discretion to approve you to attend the Merit Badge Fair. It is stated at the front of the blue card: "I have discussed this merit badge with this scout and recommended at least one merit badge counselor." In this case it would be the merit badge fair.
- This Merit Badge Fair is open to all registered Boy Scouts and Venturing Scouts of all districts and councils who have received their Unit Leader's approval to take the class at our Fair.
11. Do I need to bring anything with me to the classes?
Yes. You need to bring with you the following items:
- Signed Blue Card from your Scoutmaster approving you to work on the Merit BadgeThe Merit Badge Book (that you should have read before the Fair)
- All / Any pre-requisite work needed for completion of the badge at our fair
- You may want to bring the Merit Badge Worksheet as a reference tool, but not required for completion of the badge. These can be found online through various sources.
- Wear your full Class A Uniform
- Bring a pen
12. How are the fees based?
- Our Event Fee is based on the attendance for the entire day regardless of how many classes the scout signs up for. Our Event Fee also includes one Event Patch. We are unable to refund event fees unless there are unforeseen/unavoidable circumstances.
13. Should I check the webpage for additional pre-reqs or other changes?
- Yes. We keep adding classes as we are able to recruit qualified counselors to train our youth.
- Pre-requisites can be found on our Merit Badge Webpage
14. How will I know where to go in the school?
- On arrival at the school, all Scouts should proceed to their first class. There is no sign-in required here as you should have your class schedule with you. Instructors will take attendance at each class.
- There will be a resource/registration table at the intersection of all of the hallways. This table is staffed by our team for any issues that may arise during the event.
- Maps of the school will be located on the lockers throughout the school.
15. When will I obtain the event patch?
- You will receive the Merit Badge Fair Event Patch at your first class of the day.
16. Should I behave at the fair?
- A scout deemed a behavior problem by a Counselor or another adult will NOT earn credit for the class and will be asked to leave the Merit Badge Fair.
- No refunds will be issued.
17. What are the hours of the classes?
- Each class length was predetermined by the material needed to be covered and the counselor providing it.
- Please refer to your class schedule for more information.
|Time Block||Class Time Period|
|1,2||8:30 am - 10:30 am|
|1,2,3||8:30 am - 11:30 pm|
|1,2,3,4||8:30 am - 12:30 pm|
|2,3||9:30 am - 11:30 pm|
|3,4||10:30 am - 12:30 pm|
|5,6||1:00 pm - 3:00 pm|
|5,6,7||1:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
|5,6,7,8||1:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
|6,7||2:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
|7,8||3:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
18. What is the address of the school for the Merit Badge Fair classes?
- See the map to the RIGHT.
- Our event is NOT at the Monmouth Council Service Center.
- Monmouth Junction is a part of South Brunswick.
19. How will I know if my son who is on wait list is in the merit badge class?
The system generates an email ONLY when a scout cancels from a merit badge class and #1 on the wait list is moved into the class. #2 moves to the #1 spot, and so on. You never know when a scout cancels from the class, he could do it 1 month prior as his schedule has changed, he could cancel 1 week prior because he cannot complete all the pre-reqs for the class, he could cancel days before because he is sick. You never know. Your son could be #1 on the Wait List for the entire registration time.
Again, You will only get a notice if your son is moved INTO the class.
All scouts on the wait list on the day of the Merit Badge Fair, we are sorry to say that the classes are full and cannot accept more scouts.
We look forward to seeing you at the Fair.